Garlic is a natural antibiotic, antifungal, and anti-bacterial ingredient that is useful in treating various skin issues. Herbalists recommend garlic not just for pimples and acne but also for scabies, ringworm, age-old spots, freckles, and skin whitening. In this guide, we will talk about different ways to apply garlic on the face for acne.
Why use garlic for acne and acne scars?
Garlic is a natural antibiotic. So when you rub it on the pimples, it helps to kill the bacteria and even speeds up the healing process. As soon as you notice a pimple forming, crush some garlic cloves and apply the juice on the area. Your pimple will vanish overnight and you won’t have any scarring.
How to remove scars and prevent acne using garlic
Eat garlic daily
- Swallowing three garlic cloves a day can help prevent acne.
- Not many people like garlic owing to its ‘sulfuric garlic odor’. To avoid that, try mixing it with some honey. You can also roast a few pieces and add them to your salads or soups.
- Take garlic capsules. These days, garlic oil capsules are readily available in the market. Take a couple of pills with a tall glass of water. Make sure you choose a good brand.
- Crush a few cloves of garlic, mix with honey, and add a pinch of turmeric to the mixture. Eat this daily to fight inflammation which is the primary cause of acne.
Eating garlic regularly will prevent acne pits and scars as it helps speed up the healing process. Moreover, consuming garlic will prevent new breakouts of acne.
How to apply garlic on the face for acne
There are numerous ways in which you can use garlic for acne and acne scars topically.
- Take a clove of garlic and slice it thinly.
- Rub the slices on problem areas making sure that the juice works on the acne pits and scars.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
Use this remedy with caution. Some people experience burning of the skin. You can apply garlic on a small area under the arms to test if you are allergic. If a reaction, occurs, do not use this remedy.
With apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a fireball when it comes to acne remedy. It destroys acne-causing bacteria and also balances the pH of the skin. When combined with garlic, it makes a potent acne-fighting remedy. The wonderful thing about using garlic and apple cider vinegar for acne is that it acts as a toner/astringent to clean out pores. The slightly acidic effect of vinegar acts as a peel and removes dead skin. This helps clear out blemishes and acne scars.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Add 1 tsp raw, organic apple cider vinegar to 6 tsp of fresh, distilled water.
- Crush a few cloves of garlic and add to the above toner.
- Take a sterile ball of cotton and dip it into the above mixture.
- Apply it on the acne scars.
- Leave it on for a few hours before cleansing with mild soap and warm water.
With honey and turmeric
Honey is naturally antibacterial and turmeric is antibiotic, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory. Imagine the potent combination of these ingredients!
- Take 6 cloves of garlic and crush them well.
- Mix the crushed garlic with a pinch of organic turmeric powder and a teaspoon of organic, raw honey.
- Using a sterile q-tip, apply the paste on the acne and acne scars.
- Leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- With regular use, your skin will be clearer.
Cayenne is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. Include cayenne in your diet and you can also apply a mixture of cayenne and garlic oil topically to reduce acne and acne scars.
- Mix cayenne and garlic oil.
- Apply the mixture to affected areas.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
Garlic and green tea
Green tea is extremely beneficial in curing all kinds of skin issues. It soothes the skin, acts as a toner or astringent to clean out pores, and also removes excess oil from the skin. When combined with garlic, it becomes a powerful acne-fighting remedy.
- Brew green tea by steeping the tea bag in hot water for a few minutes.
- Crush a couple of garlic cloves.
- Mix the garlic in a teaspoon of warm green tea.
- Apply the mixture to the affected region.
- Leave on for an hour before rinsing it off.
It is also a good idea to drink green tea as it heals the skin from inside out and its antioxidant action fights blemishes and acne. You can also eat crushed garlic after drinking green tea.
Tomato – garlic facial
This next remedy might make your skin smell like pizza, but it really works!
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
Mix the two ingredients using a blender.
- Deep cleanse your skin with steam inhalation. This will open up the pores and make the facial more effective.
- Pat your skin dry.
- Apply a thin layer of tomato-garlic paste on the skin taking care to avoid the eyes.
- Let the paste sit on the skin for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off.
Repeat this facial at least once a week to get rid of acne scars. This wonderful facial also whitens the skin and is particularly beneficial for removing tan.
Garlic – coconut oil salve
Garlic oil salve made by infusing garlic in coconut oil can cure many skin infections including acne. Mark Konlee, the editor of Positive Health News says, ‘It never ceases to surprise me what garlic in coconut oil salve can do for the skin. I have seen it clean warts, athlete’s foot, and a variety of skin infections!’ Use the salve on acne daily and see the wonders it does for your skin!
Garlic on pimples – side effects and contraindications
Garlic tends to burn skin. So always exercise caution. If you get a rash, redness, or burning sensation, wash off with warm water and soap. Discontinue use immediately. Most people have seen great results with using garlic for acne. We hope the remedy works for you!