If you are looking for best acne product for oily skin, you have come to the right place. Adult acne affects both men and women having dry, oily or combination skin, for several reasons. Changes in hormone levels (estrogen and testosterone), new medication or cosmetics, hormone related illnesses like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and menopause, anxiety, stress, birth control, corticosteroids and change in diet or environment are some causes of acne. The important thing in preventing adult acne is developing a systematic skin care regimen. This is particularly important in case of oily skin acne.
How to avoid oily face during the day
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser and water 2 times a day. Excessive washing and cleansing will dry out your skin and trigger the sebaceous glands to produce excess sebum.
- Take care to use lukewarm water and not too hot water for it dries out skin faster.
- Do not use abrasive scrubs or beads that can irritate the delicate surface and disturb the deeper layers of the skin.
- Pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Top home remedies for adult acne for oily skin
- Mix a teaspoon of honey to a cup of boiled oatmeal and add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Use it as a facemask covering your face and neck and wash off with lukewarm water once dry or after half an hour whichever is earlier. Be sure to pat your skin dry and not rub the towel over your face.
- Use water-based moisturizers with natural ingredients instead of oil-based ones. Try to avoid chemical ingredients as much as possible because they tend to irritate the skin and trigger excess sebum production.
- Acne is not just uncomfortable; it can cause considerable pain and burning. Acne scars take a long time to heal completely and sunburn further leads to itching and irritation. Always use a good sunscreen while going out in the sun. During summers, if you already have acne on your back, face, and neck, wear a hat and avoid sundresses as tempting as they might be.
- Acne also fester bacteria that slow down the healing process. Make a paste of one teaspoon of turmeric (found easily in eastern spice markets) in sufficient coconut oil and apply all over face, neck, and other areas where acne have erupted. Both turmeric and coconut oil have proven antibacterial properties and coconut oil helps moisturize without irritating the skin. It also helps reduce the itching and burning caused by sunburn.
- Cleanse your skin but do not dry it out. A good home remedy for adult acne is to use tomato juice for cleansing your skin. Tomato juice not only cleanses and moisturizes your skin; it also gives it a soft glow and tightens the pores. Cut a medium sized tomato in half and apply the juice all over your face and neck. Wait for 10 minutes and wash with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel. Repeat with the other half of the tomato after 6 hours. Do this till your acne reduces.
- If you have blackheads, it is better to get rid of them before they turn into pimples and acne. Take a little amount of white toothpaste and apply all over the blackheads. You could mix a pinch of salt with the toothpaste to act as a mild scrub. Leave for 10 minutes and wash away with lukewarm water. This will get rid of the blackheads so you don’t have to squeeze them out.
- Never squeeze out a pimple, acne, or a black / white head. Always cleanse, gently exfoliate and try to cure and heal. Squeezing and popping zits will only lead to eruptions and more trouble later on.
- Wear sunscreen even when the sun is not too bright or you see clouds in the horizon.
Best acne product for oily skin
- Several over the counter products are available for oily skin acne that are both effective and do not cost a bomb. Make sure you check the chemical composition of the product before you buy them. If you are not sure how your skin might react to some ingredients, check with your GP or a dermatologist.
- Choose a water-based sunscreen as against an oil-based one.
- While choosing products to treat oily skin acne, make sure they contain salicylic acid.
- If the acne is has pus and looks infected, use antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.
- Adult acne can cause scaring and these scars are difficult to treat and heal. Some of the acne product for oily skin can also cause scarring if they are not compatible with your skin. Consult your doctor or a dermatologist before buying a new product even if it has proved to be effective among your friends.
If you are recovering from a recent illness, just had a baby or any major change in your diet or lifestyle, you are susceptible to adult acne. Change your diet. Cut excess fats and carbs and go for fresh salads and steamed vegetables. It is possible that your oil/fat rich diet isn’t suitable to your skin. If you recently changed the oil you use for cooking, it might also cause your adult acne. Check for all possible causes before going in for an elaborate treatment plan. Adult acne is treatable and you can avoid scarring if you are careful. Ensure you take tips and advise from your doctor before using any so called ‘best acne product for oily skin’.