The key to preventing acne scars is to prevent acne in the first place. In this guide, we shall discuss a few home care remedies that adults and teenagers alike can use to prevent acne and get a smooth and clear skin.
Effective ways to prevent acne
Different kinds of acne lead to different types of scar formation. Fortunately, there are a few tried and tested methods that can help prevent acne scarring and blemishes.
- The first thing to do to prevent acne scars and marks is to stop picking and touching the acne. Many times, people feel tempted to burst pimples, but this habit can cost them dearly. Fingernails, pins and even Q-tips can also leave germs on the already inflamed skin and create more damage. Worse; the habit of touching the face can lead to new acne breakouts.
- Salicylic acid- This is a proven acne treatment that can not only prevent acne but also resolve blemishes and marks. It is obtained from the willow bark tree and is available readily in the market in the form of face washes, toners, creams and other topical applications.
- Sulfur- Sulfur helps inhibit the growth of P.Acnes bacteria that causes acne and also reduces swelling and inflammation.
- Benzoyl Peroxide- This is a proven remedy that is effective for preventing acne and scars thereof.
- AHA or Alpha hydroxyl acids- These are acids derived from fruit juices, sour milk, fermented grapes etc. Not only do AHA products prevent acne, they also help reverse signs of aging.
Natural acne prevention
Now that we have studied a few FDA approved chemical preparations that help prevent acne, let us take a look at some natural ingredients that can also do the same. Make sure that you use only one of the remedies given below to prevent breakouts, since combining two or more remedies will simply make the acne worse. Also discontinue use immediately if the acne worsens.
- Witch hazel solution is one the best natural remedies that can help prevent acne marks thereof. Apply witch hazel solution at night time to the blemishes and let dry. Wash off with warm water in the morning.
- Milk of magnesia is another natural remedy to help prevent acne and subsequent scarring. Magnesium has anti bacterial properties that absorb oil and prevent inflammation.
- Raw and crushed garlic or grated potato juice can also be applied on the skin to prevent acne breakouts. Both these natural substances have anti bacterial properties that can keep the skin clean and clear.
- Aspirin tablets can help prevent heart attacks. But did you also know that they are effective against acne? Simply crush one and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it to make a paste. Apply this over the areas where you get acne. Wash off after 30 minutes.
- Raw honey mixed with some green tea extracts can also be an excellent and natural remedy to prevent acne.
- Regular exfoliation of the skin is essential to prevent clogged pores. You can make an at-home exfoliating mask containing baking soda, olive oil and brow sugar. Apply this over the skin to remove dead skin cells and loosen clogged pores.
Remember: as stated before, it is important to watch out for any allergic reactions to these at-home remedies. If acne worsens, discontinue using the remedy immediately. It is also important to consume a diet that is rich in zinc and soy rich foods, as both these can help prevent acne and its blemishes. Examples of zinc rich foods are eggs, sea food, mushrooms, liver etc. Dandelion tea can also be consumed two to three times daily as it helps purify blood and prevent new acne from popping up.
These are a few natural ways to prevent acne breakouts and subsequent scars.