Most people develop acne during their adolescence. Adult acne, however, is a reality too and needless to say- a nightmare! This skin condition can cause immense stress especially when it suddenly pops up just before an important event. Many a bride (or groom to be) is known to suffer tremendously owing to huge zits right before the wedding! Often, the cause of such pre-wedding adult acne is improper diet: eating sugary and oily food, excess red meat, poultry or dairy (and other foods that have been treated with hormones, chemicals or are heavily processed) can all lead to pimples. Also, food high in salt, sugar and low in natural nutrition can also contribute to adult acne. Other causes of this skin disorder include stress, hormonal imbalance, and, in some cases, unsuitable face creams/cosmetics etc.
Depending on the time you have available before the big day, you can try some or all of the remedies listed below to help you get rid of adult acne before the wedding.
Diet to get rid of adult acne before the wedding
Reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet to the recommended daily requirement. Any excess will turn into fat and cause acne. Eat fresh fruits and salads before every meal. Some examples of a healthy diet are:
- Eat a proper breakfast -include egg on whole grain bread or toast with mustard and a big glass of fresh/sugar-free orange juice followed by a helping of fruits like bananas, apples, oranges and grapefruits. Having a heavy breakfast is good for your figure and will also help you get rid of adult acne before the wedding!
- Eat a non-sugary snack like English muffins, or vegetable soup, or sugar-free/ unflavored yogurt mid-morning (around 10AM) to avoid starvation before lunch.
- Eat crisp and crunchy cucumber salad or fresh green lettuce and chicken salad with a drizzling of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper dressing. Alternatively, opt for baked fish garnished with herbs and vegetables. Include fresh seasonal vegetables and avoid mayonnaise in the salad dressing. This will reduce the possibility of adult acne and also help you fit perfectly into the gorgeous wedding dress you have picked.
- Have a small snack with some green tea at around 5 PM –make sure that it does not include sugary, oily, or processed foods. Follow it up with a light supper of broth or soup.
Pre-wedding acne treatment
- Consult a dermatologist and get a prescription for treating acne. Adult acne often leaves acne scars. So, get the dermatologist to prescribe topical creams and lotions that work fast, cause no scaring or discoloration, and get rid of adult acne before the wedding.
- Use antibiotics if the acne is infected and pus filled
- If you are already on some medication, check with your dermatologist if it is a probable cause for adult acne. If it is, get a different medicine to cure whatever else is bothering you.
- Many homeopathic remedies are also available for adult acne. These remedies sometimes act faster than one would expect and help you get rid of adult acne before the wedding. If you are not keen on antibiotics, consult a registered homeopathy doctor and get the right remedy. Calendula is a good homeopathic remedy to get rid of scars.
If you have recently changed to a new skin product like a cream or cosmetic, immediately get rid of it. It might be responsible for the adult acne in the first place. Use sunscreen when stepping out in the sun and keep your skin clean and moist. Use gentle skin-cleaning products having antibacterial properties. If you don’t already have a skin care routine in place, create one that includes cleansing, toning and moisturizing and stick to it every single day. Do not touch your face and particularly avoid popping the acne to avoid further infections. Till the day of your wedding, do not use concealers or other beauty products on the zits. Such measures will only aggravate the acne. Chances are, with due care, you might already succeed in getting rid of adult acne by the time your wedding day arises so you might not need to conceal anything after all.
If, after trying everything, you are not able to completely get rid of adult acne before the wedding, you can always use a concealer made by a reputed manufacturer. All that healthy diet and skin care will surely ensure making your face glowing and radiant. So-relax, smile and enjoy your special day!