Honey has been used since centuries to cure all kinds of skin infections and wounds. It is therefore not too surprising to note that honey can be used for treating acne and acne scars as well. However, not all honey is beneficial for the skin. You need to use specific varieties having the right constituents. Moreover, it is also important that the honey used for acne does not contain pesticides or insecticides. Today, there are many commercial creams and face washes containing honey as well. However, if you want to know how to use honey for acne at home, we will help answer all your questions.
What makes honey for acne treatment effective?
Honey is made by honeybees using the nectar from flowers. It contains sugar, water and several organic compounds and enzymes. The enzyme Glucose Oxidase is added by the bees together with other compounds and this is what imparts antibacterial properties to honey.Acne is caused by bacteria that mixes with the sebum and dirt trapped underneath the skin’s surface. By regularly using honey on acne, you can cure it and also prevent scarring.
Now we will discuss how to use honey for acne and acne scars.
Steps how to use honey for acne
If you plan on using honey for acne and acne scars, then make sure you use only Manuka honey. This honey is native to New Zealand and obtained from bees that produce it by using the nectar from the Manuka flower bushes. Manuka honey contains hydrogen peroxide which is known for its antimicrobial properties. Manuka honey also differs from other varieties of honey as it contains methylglyoxal or MG. This compound is believed to impart Manuka honey its antibacterial properties that are highly effective against acne.
Here are some home remedies to cure acne with manuka honey
- Start your morning with a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of Manuka honey. Honey is a mild laxative and can help prevent and treat constipation. You can also drink honey and lemon juice with warm water for acne – a great way to keep yourself regular. This remedy will also give you a blemish free skin.
- You can also drink hot water with manuka honey and apple cider vinegar every day before breakfast. ACV balances the skin’s pH and honey cleanses the digestive track.
- You can drink hot tea with honey and turmeric two to three times a day. This is a great remedy to fight acne from inside out. Both turmeric and honey are antibacterial and they help fight acne-causing bacteria to give you a smooth, blemish free and clear complexion.
- You can also take honey with cinnamon every day. Cinnamon is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory spice which attacks the acne causing bacteria and enhances the healing properties of honey for acne treatment. Take cinnamon and honey instead of sugar in your coffee and see your skin glow!
- Grate some ginger and mix it up with honey. Take this mixture with some hot water or as is to clear up the skin and fight blemishes. Ginger root is known for its soothing, healing and anti-inflammatory properties that are so important to cure acne.
Honey based homemade face masks for glowing complexion
1. Honey and lemon face mask for acne treatment
Buy a bottle of raw organic Manuka honey (or you could use local honey from farmer’s market). Take two teaspoons of honey and mix it with juice of half a lemon or lime. Apply the mixture all over the pimples and scars making sure you cleanse the skin first. Keep the mixture on for 20 minutes. Wash with cold water. This will help keep the pores closed. Pat the skin dry. Make sure you store the remaining honey and lemon acne treatment face mask in a container in the refrigerator. Use it in 3 days.
2. Honey and cinnamon mask for acne
Honey and cinnamon acne reviews have been great as many people have completely eliminated acne scars using this home remedy. Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to form a thick paste. You can apply this all over the face or simply cover only the spots with it. Let the paste remain on the acne for 20 minutes. This will lighten all acne scars and also reduce swelling and pus in the pimples. Use once every week to fight acne.
3. Manuka honey and parsley skin lightening mask
You will need half a cup of fresh flat parsley leaves with stems removed. In a blender, add the parsley, lemon juice and manuka honey and blend them until you get a thick paste. Apply this paste to the acne blemishes after cleansing the face. There might be a mild stinging sensation on active acne. This is normal and caused by the lemon juice. Rinse off after 10 minutes. Use once a week to lighten acne.
4. Turmeric and honey mask
Mix a small amount of turmeric (be careful it stains clothes!) with a teaspoon of manuka honey. Apply all over the face to prevent new acne breakouts. This mask also fades out the blemishes. Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes. Follow up with a toner and moisturizer.
Here are some images of manuka honey for acne before and after. Note that the women are wearing makeup in the after photos, which makes it difficult to assess the result. If you have your own before/after photos and want to share them, please let us know in the comments section below. Thanks.
We hope these face masks with honey for acne scars and acne prevention helps you regain gorgeous glowing skin.