Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese therapy that is mainly used for pain relief. People have used Acupuncture to relieve chronic neck and back pain, headaches etc. Today, it is also used for appetite control for losing weight as well as for quitting alcohol, smoking etc. The treatment is based on the principle of the flow of Chi energy –life energy that flows throughout the body. Acupuncturists believe that the Chi energy often gets blocked due to imbalances that occur in the body. Acne is the result of one such imbalance. Therefore, Acupuncture can help relieve acne by removing the root cause of all imbalance.
Let us review Acne Acupuncture Treatment in detail.
Studies conducted on Acne Acupuncture Treatment
Many studies have been conducted on acne acupuncture treatment and these have proven that both, Acupuncture and Moxibustion (Acupuncture using Moxa or mugwort), are safe and effective in treating acne. In several randomized control trials, individuals with mild to moderate acne lesions experienced reduction of inflammatory lesions as well as overall improvement in the complexion. In general, many other studies have also shown following results:
- Acupuncture reduces acne inflammation by releasing vascular and immunomodulatory factors.
- It enhances natural killer cell activities
- It increases local microcirculation to disperse swelling.
How does Acne acupuncture treatment work?
Acupuncture uses needles to stimulate the nervous system and release neurochemical messenger modules.These result in biochemical processes that, in general, positively influence the body’s homeostatic mechanism and bring about complete mental and physical wellness. When certain pressure points on the body are stimulated, specific areas of brain associated with reduction in pain and stress are stimulated for overall health and wellbeing.
Acupuncture acne points are specific from person to person and depend on the factors that are causing the acne. For example, some acne may arise from hormonal issues; still others might come from excess stress or bad diet.Hence the acne acupuncture treatment points also differ. One of the acne acupuncture points is located between the thumb and the index fingers. The fleshy web like skin in between these two fingers has 3 points just at the base of the thumb. An acupuncturist can stimulate these command points that stand for the head and face, which is where most acne occurs. The acupuncturist might either use needles to press these points or simply her/his fingers to activate these points. This helps remove Chi stagnation in the body. Once the Chi energy starts flowing smoothly, the imbalances in the body are corrected to overcome all kinds of skin issues including acne, rosacea etc.
Specific Acupuncture and Acupressure Acne points
A masseuse, an acupuncturist or Moxibustion therapist can massage or stimulate following acne acupuncture points to resolve skin issues:
- Heavenly Pillar points– These are located half an inch beneath the skull on backside of the neck. (They are on the outward side of the spine.) Pressing these points helps relieve stress, acne, rosacea and many other skin disorders. These are also the points linked with eye issues, sore throat, headache etc.
- Sea of vitality– These acne acupuncture points are located 2 -3 inches above the buttocks on the sides of the spine on the lower back. Do not over-stimulate these points if you have back pain or weak back muscles. Avoid pressing these points in case of disintegrating or fractured discs. Besides reliving acne, these points are also useful in treating eczema, broken skin, wounds etc.
- Third eye point– As the name indicates, this acupuncture point for acne treatment is located between the brows on the forehead. It helps stimulate the endocrine gland which is related to hormonal secretion and can thus treat acne.
- 4 Whites– These acne acupuncture points are located beneath the eyes: on the cheeks and half an inch beneath the lower ridge of the eyes. Pressing these points can relieve acne and acne blemishes.
- Facial beauty– These points lie beneath the 4 whites points on the center of the cheeks and bottom of the cheekbones. Pressing them can improve facial circulation and reduce acne, blemishes and other problems of complexion.
- Heavenly appearance– These points for acupuncture acne treatment lie below the earlobe and behind the jawbone. They stimulate and balance the thyroid gland to improve appearance and luster of the skin.
It is essential that you choose a professional acupuncturist for your acne treatment. Get word of mouth reviews or recommendations and shortlist a couple of acupuncturists.Acupuncture acne treatment works and has shown great results in many patients provided you select an experienced candidate for the task. Make sure you ask a lot of questions about the styles and types of treatment. Also get information regarding the number of sessions you would need to start seeing results. Chronic acne might require several sessions of acupuncture for healing. If, despite treatment, your acne flare-ups do not reduce, you might want to consider changing the therapist. Alternatively, you might want to talk to your conventional western doctor/dermatologist whether acupuncture acne treatment is indeed right for you.