If you are battling acne then chances are that you also have to deal with acne redness and scars. In extreme cases, you might want to consider dermatological interventions like laser therapy etc to reduce this scarring. However, not everyone can afford such invasive acne scar removal treatments. Also, in cases of mild to moderate acne, the best solution is to use home remedies. There are several effective and proven acne scar removal remedies which guarantee fast results. Many of these are actually derived from the ancient Indian medical science of Ayurveda, while some are based on grandma’s ancient wisdom of using holistic simple kitchen ingredients provided by Mother Nature.
So here are the top home remedies to help reduce acne scars and redness.
Home remedies to remove acne scars
According to Ayurveda, acne is a result of ‘pitta’ or excess acidity in the body. So you must eat acid reducing foods or an alkaline diet oif you are battling acne. This diet mainly comprises of fruits and vegetables, particularly, cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc. Pitta is also caused by environmental factors or life changes that lead to stress as well as hormonal disturbances etc. In some cases, bacterial infections could also cause excess pitta. Additionally, the exposure to certain chemicals found in cosmetics, or too much of sun can also lead to acne and acne scars.
As a result, a Pitta pacifying diet is recommended by Aurvedic doctors. This includes non spicy foods and one must also strictly avoid nicotine and alcohol. Patients must also stay away from very oily, fermented and sugary foods and must go in for bland foods like oatmeal, rice etc.
Ayruvedic herbs that reduce acne and quickly clear up the skin include Shatavari (asparagus), Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa) and Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) also called Amrit. These herbal powders are readily available in the Indian stores and can help balance excess pitta in the body. These are highly valued and extremely cooling powders having plethora of health benefits apart from clearing acne scars overnight. Simply make a mixture of these three powders (1/4 tsp each) and have it 2-3 times a day. Also take Amlaki herb at night to cleanse the colon.
Natural beverages to reduce acne scars
Make a cooling tea using fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Simply steep the 3 ingredients in hot water for 10 minutes and drink the water after each meal.
Apart from this tea, make sure you drink plenty of green tea and also Blue water. To make blue water, take some filtered mineral water in a transparent bottle. Cover this with blue cellophane paper and place it in the sun for 3-4 hours. Drink this water 3 times a day. This home remedy for acne scars really works.
Also include Aloe vera juice in your diet. Aloe vera has many healing properties that can reduce acne and subsequent scars.
Healing pastes and face masks for reducing acne scars overnight
- Buy some chickpea powder (from Indian grocery stores or health food stores). Mix a teaspoon of this powder with a little water to make a thick paste. Apply it all over the acne redness. Keep it on for 20 minutes or until it dries. Rinse off with warm water. The chickpea powder absorbs excess oil to reduce acne flare ups.
- Mix some almond powder and water. Apply this mixture to acne scars for 30 minutes. Wash off with warm water. The vitamin E and other compounds in the almonds help stimulate healing of acne scars.
- Make a paste using ¼ tsp sandalwood powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder with some milk. Ideally, you need to use goat milk, but if unavailable, use cow milk. Apply this on the face and keep it on for at least 40 minutes. The antibacterial properties of curcumin found in turmeric eliminate the P.Acnes bacterium while the sandalwood heals and cools the inflamed skin. This is an effective remedy to alleviate acne and also reduce scarring and redness.
- Rub some melon pulp on the face. This will not only reduce acne scars but also make your face soft.
Reduce acne scars through stress control
- Breathing exercises-Practice deep belly breathing in which your diaphragm or stomach should expand with each incoming breath and the chest should, ideally, remain at rest. Do this multiple times a day to control stress.
- Do Yoga postures– Yoga postures like sun salutations etc can help relax the skin and face and also reduce stress hormones. Practice these early in the morning.
- Positive visualization– It has now been proven that there is a direct link between the mind and body. Thus, if you tell your mind that your acne has disappeared through positive visualization and affirmations, there is a greater chance that your body will completely heal itself. Simply close your eyes and quiet your mind. Then command your skin tissues that your acne has healed.
We are sure these home remedies will reduce your acne scars. When you are following these remedies, it is best not to look in the mirror or touch your face to pop the zits. This will only aggravate the problem.