Rosacea causes, more or less, the same symptoms as those caused by adult acne and often, the two terms are used interchangeably. Rosacea is increasingly being seen in adult men and women aged 30 and above. In this guide, we will study the best adult acne rosacea treatment and consider some effective home remedies as recommended by real sufferers of rosacea and adult acne.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea, like adult acne, is characterized by acne flare ups and remissions. The skin condition causes an intense redness on the face, which, some describe as being ‘akin to blushing’. Rosacea also causes tiny red pimples, generally on the central third part of the face including the cheeks, nose, and chin. In some cases, it can even affect the forehead. Extreme cases of Rosacea could cause a red and swollen bulbous nose, or even eye issues like swollen and itchy eyes, conjunctivitis-like-symptoms etc. Many women are unable to leave home without makeup covering their red, angry-looking facial skin.
Is Rosacea incurable?
Unfortunately, there is no known ‘best treatment for rosacea adult acne’ that can help get rid of it permanently. Most adults suffer from rosacea chronically. Also, in many cases, the treatment is delayed because doctors mistaken it for sunburn, or allergic reaction or even ‘rosy cheeks’. Ordinary acne treatment is also known to be detrimental to rosacea, especially the over-the-counter products with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide etc.
Is Laser therapy the best rosacea adult acne treatment?
Intense pulse light therapy is perhaps the only known adult acne rosacea treatment. Mild rosacea may not require such invasive therapy as it is usually well managed using certain washes, and topical creams etc. Patients with mild rosacea are often asked to avoid certain trigger factors such as extreme heat, emotional stress, alcohol, fried and spicy foods, allergens like meat, soya, dairy etc.
In the more serious rosacea adult acne cases, dermatologists usually recommend a series of intense pulsed light therapies combined with photodynamic treatments to reduce redness. These need to be followed along with some home skin-care regimes.
All of these methods can drastically reduce rosacea redness but do note that these invasive treatments come with their share of discomfort (like tingling, burning etc). These symptoms can be managed using cool/ice packs, as well as anesthetic creams that help alleviate the discomfort. Moreover, dermatologists also recommend mild facial cleansers, sulfa washes and oral and topical antibiotics to further reduce adult acne rosacea.
Home remedies that are the most effective treatments for adult acne rosacea
- QV cream- This is known to calm redness associated with rosacea
- Epsom salt baths can also soothe rosacea/adult acne redness on body and face.
- You can use apple cider vinegar toner regularly over the flare-ups as this is known to reduce them.
- Diluted Tea tree oil along with daily application of calamine lotion are some effective home remedies for calming rosacea/adult acne.
- If you have nasal issues along with rosacea, keep a nasal spray handy. This will help you breathe more easily. Use eye drops to reduce eye redness.
- Steroidal creams are also known as some of the best adult acne rosacea treatment as home remedies.
- The Acne Free Redness Relief® system is known to help many patients whose rosacea is closely related to adult acne. This contains Benzoyl peroxide, so make sure you perform a patch test first. If reactions like burning, peeling, dryness etc occur, discontinue use.
- It is also important to avoid rosacea triggers like certain foods, drinks etc. Avoid alcohol and excess sugar. If needed, try eliminating certain foods like soya, dairy, gluten etc. Keep a food journal-this will help you tick off foods that may be responsible for the rosacea adult acne.
- Taking a daily multivitamin along with essential fatty acid supplements for healthy and glowing skin is recommended. One must avoid excess sun exposure.
- Topical Metrogel® or Clindoxyl gel along with a dose of prescription Doxycycline can also help keep rosacea adult acne at bay.
As can be seen, there is no standard rosacea treatment that can be claimed as the best adult acne rosacea treatment. For some patients laser therapy becomes necessary; still others can make do with low dose antibiotics along the home remedies mentioned above.