What causes acne in adults?
Acne is an inflammation of the skin. It is caused by blocked pores of the skin thanks to natural sebum (or oil), dirt, sweat, bacteria or makeup. Many factors can aggravate acne including stress, improper diet, lifestyle choices, and even hormones.
How to get rid of acne naturally?
Most people develop acne at some point or the other in their life. You can always use lotions, creams and gels to counter acne, but there are also many natural methods to help you get rid of the once and for all.
- Avoid popping the acne– This will spread the infection and cause more breakouts.
- Use water based products to cleanse, tone and moisturize- If you go for oil based products, you will end up clogging your skin pores further.
- Manage Stress – The best way to manage stress is to do some Yoga, meditation, dance or listen to music. A daily walk or jog for 30 minutes can also reduce stress. Sleep well and eat healthy and make sure you take time to indulge in hobbies that relax you.
- Review your makeup and medicines– Many makeup products clog the skin. So use products that are gentle, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. Talk to your doctor about medicines that may be causing your acne. Many birth control pills can give rise to acne in adults. So, look for alternatives so you can clear your skin.
- Eat healthy– Review your diet. Are you eating too many refined products? Sometimes, sugar and white-flour based diet can also lead to acne. Instead, consume fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy fish and seeds and nuts. These are necessary for healthy, acne-free skin.
- Take herbal medicines– Many herbal medicines can cure acne by removing toxins from the body. Drink herbal teas and green tea to boost immunity and also reduce stress. Adding herbal essential oils like tea tree oil and borage oil to your cleansers can also help reduce acne.
These are the best ways to get rid of acne naturally.
Top rated acne treatment
Top rated acne treatment is different for different acne conditions based on the extent of acne.
For mild acne, top rated acne cleansers containing Salicylic acid may be used. Your dermatologist might also suggest benzoyl peroxide cream (4%) for spot application. Note that both products will dry your skin up. So follow up with a good moisturizer and avoid going out in the sun as it can aggravate redness. If these products do not show results, you may be given topical antibiotic creams, retinoids as well as Azelaic acid based acne products.
Hormonal treatment is the top rated acne treatment for moderate to severe acne. Isotretinoin may also be prescribed. Topical antibiotic creams like Clindamycin and erythromycin may also be prescribed. In hormone therapy for acne, your doctor might prescribe estrogen based oral contraceptives. These tend to have side effects like weight gain, breast tenderness and menstrual spotting.
The best severe acne treatment will be antibiotics (topical and systemic) as well as Isotretinoin (Accutane®) and hormone therapy. Oral antibiotics for severe acne include Tetracycline and erythromycin. Hormone therapy, mentioned above, may also be prescribed. Mild corticosteroids may also be given to stop excessive secretion of hormones (androgens) that cause acne.
If nothing works, you may be prescribed acne surgery.
Best acne treatment products for oily skin
Following best acne treatment products can be used by men and women.
- Cleanse the face twice a day with mild cleanser. Do not use alcohol based cleansers as they are excessively drying and could actually cause the skin glands to produce even more oil and sebum. Go for gentle yet effective cleansers. Some of the top rated acne cleansers are Cetaphil, Era Organics Natural face wash with Manuka honey and InstaNatural.
- Follow up with a gentle witch hazel toner. Thayer’s Rose petal toner contains witch hazel and aloe vera.
- Apply a moisturizing serum containing ingredients like Vitamin C, Hyaluronic acid, retinol, green tea and other moisturizing elements. InstaNatural serum is a great product.
Home remedies to use in addition to the best acne kit above
- Give up dairy, soy and sugar completely.
- Twice a week, apply a mask of egg whites, honey and turmeric. Let the mask sit on the face until it tightens and dries naturally. Wash off with warm water.
- Apply tea tree oil to the acne. This is antibacterial and can help reduce blemishes.
- You can also make a homemade face mask of cinnamon powder with some honey and apply to acne blemishes. This will prevent scarring. You can also add some lemon juice in cinnamon powder to make the face mask for fighting acne blemishes and scars.
- As stated before, eat a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily to remove toxins and prevent constipation.
We hope these top acne treatment options and home remedies give you the clear skin you are dreaming of.