Back acne, also called bacne, is a common condition affecting teenagers and adults alike. Like other forms of acne vulgaris, back acne is also formed due to overactive sebaceous glands. Some of the same treatments can be used for treating both facial acne and back acne.
Home remedies for back acne
Here we shall discuss 15 tried and tested home remedies to prevent and eliminate back acne.
- Bacne is normally aggravated by tight fitting or rough textured clothing. Avoid wearing such clothes as far as possible and opt for loose fitting and smooth textured clothing instead.
- People prone to back acne must avoid using synthetic massage oils, hard massaging devices, brushes or loofahs for scrubbing/massaging their backs.
- All skin care products containing synthetic dyes and perfumes must be avoided as these can sometimes aggravate the acne. There are many acne targeting products that can be used under the advice of a dermatologist.
- Mild skin cleansers are best as they help clean the skin without over drying or clogging the skin pores. Your skin’s pH level must ideally be at 4.7. Any higher or lower than this can cause dryness and breakouts. Diluted apple cider vinegar solution (one part vinegar mixed with one part water) can be sprayed on the skin to prevent acne on the back in case of skin having higher pH values.
- Anti bacterial skin cleansers used for facial acne can sometimes be used for targeting back acne. Do talk to your doctor prior to use.
- After showering, wipe the back dry and follow up with some topical acne cream containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, as recommended by a dermatologist, to speed up healing of the acne.
- Exfoliation is an important part of preventing back acne. Once-a-week steam baths can help unclog pores and eliminate bacteria that may be causing the acne.
- Dry body brushing is one of the best methods of exfoliating. It is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that has been practiced since centuries for detoxification and keeping the lymphatic system healthy. It consists of using a soft brush (made from natural hair) to eliminate dry and dead skin cells. Dry body brushing can be done any time of the day, but it is best before a shower. The brush should be used all over the body in gentle strokes towards the heart. This helps detoxify the liver and also keeps away skin toxins to give you smoother and clearer skin.
- An oatmeal bath is also extremely soothing for back acne sufferers. Simply add some powdered colloidal oatmeal to the bathwater and soak in it. Oatmeal can help relieve inflammation and redness. Epsom salt baths are also very effective in preventing and treating back acne.
- Spray some sea salt (or soak in the sea water at the beach) to help prevent back acne and acne marks. This is a particularly useful remedy for people suffering from back acne in summers.
- Some cosmetologists recommend Dawn dishwashing soaps instead of regular bath soap for washing the back. This is a tried and tested home remedy that has helped several back acne sufferers get rid of it completely.
- Excess chlorine in water can also cause back acne. Try and change your shower head to filter out the excess chlorine. Avoid swimming when you are prone to acne.
- Zinc is a mineral that is used for treating all kinds of skin problems. Consume plenty of zinc rich foods like fortified cereals, oysters and sea food, nuts, red meat etc. Vegetarians can talk to their doctor about supplementation using zinc picolinate. Never take more than 50mg of zinc as this can hamper the absorption of copper.
- It is important to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and have a balanced diet as a part of the home remedies for back acne prevention and treatment. One must also drink 8-10 glasses of water to keep the skin fresh and healthy.
- Acne and back acne can both result from stress. As a part of the home remedies for bacne prevention, do practice meditation or yoga and also indulge in at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise like walking, swimming etc on a daily basis.
These are a few ways of getting rid of back acne once and for all.