The majority of sufferers of adult acne have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars at a dermatologist’s office or on other conventional acne cures. Most end up being frustrated at the results: the acne simply keeps coming back, month after month. It is no wonder that people are now turning to natural remedies for treating their acne and acne blemishes. One of the most popular and effective natural remedies for treating adult acne is Vinegar. One can use any vinegar such as rice wine vinegar, or white vinegar etc, but, by far the most popular natural acne remedy is Apple cider vinegar for acne.
How does ACV or apple cider vinegar treat and heal acne?
Vinegar (of any kind) is acidic in nature. Apple cider vinegar is made using the same steps that are used for making alcohol. The apples are first crushed and fermented using certain yeast and sugars, and then converted into acetic acid and alcohol. When you buy Apple cider vinegar from reputed sources, especially the varieties that contain the “Mother” (known as Apple cider vinegar with mother), it means that the vinegar also contains proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that impart a murky appearance to the vinegar.
Thus, raw and organic ACV with mother has numerous antibacterial and antiseptic properties. People who use apple cider vinegar regular to wash their faces have seen remarkably clearer, acne free skin just a few days following the treatment. This is thanks to the mildly acidic content of vinegar that pulls out bacteria, debris and sebum from the clogged pores of the skin.
Secondly, Apple cider vinegar treats acne by balancing the pH of the skin. Thanks to modern “beige colored” diets (where most people eat breads, crackers, cookies and other sugary junk), the skin and other organs of the body become highly acidic. Ideally, our bodies are meant to have a pH that is alkaline in nature. It is no wonder that more and more people as well as doctors are opting for alkaline diets to reduce inflammation (one of the reasons behind adult acne). By regularly consuming a few drops of apple cider vinegar first thing each morning on an empty stomach can actually reduce the body’s acidity. This might sound like a contradiction, but is now a proven method of balancing the body’s pH (the same reason why lemons, which are actually acidic in nature, help make our blood more alkaline). Thus, by using ACV regularly on facial, butt or back acne topically and also consuming it orally, one can regulate their body acidity and curb acne.
How to use Apple cider vinegar to cure and heal acne blemishes?
The wonderful part of adding apple cider vinegar to one’s daily diet and skin care routine is that, apart from reduction in acne, one would also notice several other health benefits.Here is how you can use ACV for acne and acne blemishes:
- To a 16 ounce glass of warm water, add 2 teaspoons of raw, organic, unpasteurized and filtered apple cider vinegar with Mother. If you do not like the taste you can add some orange juice to it. Drink this daily, first thing each morning, on an empty stomach. If you feel queasy or nauseated, have a few crackers before drinking the mixture.
- You can also add ACV to your bath water to treat and heal acne on parts of your body.
- You could even add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to your favorite cleanser or acne face-wash and use it to wash your face. Alternatively, apply or spray a few drops of ACV on a cotton ball and wipe your face with it. Let it remain on the skin for a few minutes. Then wash off as usual.
Homemade Apple cider vinegar toner to cure and prevent adult acne
This is a fantastic toner that one can use daily after washing their face.
- Use a clean and sterile bottle to store the toner.
- Mix together ½ cup of raw, organic, unpasteurized and filtered Apple cider vinegar with ½ cup clean and filtered water. Pour the two liquids in the clean bottle.
- Shake the bottle well.
- Use this toner every day to wipe the face clean. Women can even use it to remove makeup.
- It is best to let the mixture remain on the skin for at least 5-10 minutes. If the skin starts becoming dry, you can use this remedy every other day, or use a good quality non-acnegenic/non comedogenic moisturizer to counter dry skin.
Side effects of ACV treatment for adult acne
Men and women who have tried the Apple cider vinegar treatment for adult acne are generally pleased with the results and have reported very few side effects. For example, fo those taking ACV internally headaches are common, since the body is throwing out its toxins. However, as one continues consuming ACV daily, these symptoms ease off. Also, as stated before, topically applying apple cider vinegar could lead to skin dryness. It is the way the body removes all the dead skin to give rise to healthy, new blemish-free skin. To counter dryness, you can use a gentle moisturizer following the ACV toner remedy.
So do try the Apple cider vinegar treatment for acne regularly to get rid of adult acne once and for all.