Acne Face Map is a technique used to determine the root cause of acne. If you find that your pimples are placed in more or less the same spot each month, then it is very likely that your body is trying to tell you something. The concept and principles of acne face mapping are based on the Chinese techniques of face mapping to cure ailments. Traditional Chinese Medicine ( TCM) practitioners believe that there are points on the body that are connected to various major organs. Thus, if you are constantly getting acne, say, on your right cheek, then the problem very likely persists in your liver, hormonal glands and intestinal functioning. The herbalists then prescribe remedies and lifestyle changes to correct these imbalances and treat acne from its roots.
Acne Face Map: Common acne zone and what they are trying to tell you.
As seen in the figure, different parts of the face and location of pimples pinpoint imbalances in various organs. Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners also divide the face into different zones.
These Acne Face Map zones along with remedial actions are given below:
Zone 1, 2 and 3 – The forehead and between the brows
If you get pimples on the forehead, you need to take a look at your digestive system. You are probably not eating right or are indulging in fast foods rich in fats, sugar etc. Your metabolic rate is also poor. Accordingly, to remedy the acne problem based on the Acne Face Map, you must focus on eating more fruits and vegetables and cutting out all the junk from the diet. Also exercise regularly to improve metabolism. Drink plenty of green tea.
Some more steps if you are getting pimples on the forehead:
- Follow an early to bed – early to rise practice
- Drink more water every day to cleanse the system from toxic products.
- Cut stress through relaxation methods.
- Reduce refined foods, sugars and salts from diet
- Check if the cosmetics, shampoos or other irritants are causing the acne.
(Zone 3 is discussed below again)
Zones 4, 6, 8 and 10 of the Acne Face Map – The sides of the eyes
If you are developing acne on the sides of the eyes just below the forehead, then the likely culprits are imbalances in the kidneys. To reduce it, make sure you drink plenty of water. Try to include more cooling foods like melons, cucumbers and gourd in the diet. Other things related to these zones of the Acne Face Map are:
- Cutting out cheese, fats and processed foods etc
- Giving up smoking and alcohol
- Including moderate exercise daily
- Checking the makeup products. (Toss out old blush, concealers, foundations etc. Wash or change your makeup brushes).
Zones 3 – Between eyebrows
The Acne Face Map zone 3 indicates pimples between the brows. This could mean lactose intolerance, late night snacking, alcohol intake and possible food allergy. Sometimes, even waxing or threading of stray hair between the brows could lead to acne in this area. Make sure you use the right products. Some steps to prevent acne in this Acne Face Map Zone are:
- Cutting out alcohol completely
- Keeping a food diary. If you find that certain foods give rise to acne, you might need to give them up completely.
Zone 5-7-9 – Tip and sides of nose as well as upper part of lips
Red and inflamed nose indicates hypertension, or early signs of rosacea and acne above the lips could mean improper lipsticks and lip balms. To solve such acne using the Acne Face Map technique use following steps:
- Pimples on the nose indicate you are eating too much spicy or oily food. Reduce these foods and eat light.
- Blackheads on the nose also turn into pimples and pustules. Use a mild non comedogenic face wash and exfoliate weekly using the recommended, non-abrasive products. Make sure your makeup/cosmetics are non-acnegenic.
- Get fresh air daily along with exercise.
- Eat more fiber through fruits and vegetables
- Cut out salt completely, check your BP regularly
- Check your toothpaste, lipstick and lip balms
- Pimples on nose tip and above the lips also indicate imbalances in heart, spleen and lungs. Acupressure can help solve these imbalances.
Zones, 5-9-10 – Right and left cheeks
Acne on cheeks is very common in adult women. Hormonal imbalances and problems of lungs, heart, spleen and stomach are the common factors causing acne in this Acne Face Map region.
To solve acne through this pimple placement mapping:
- Exercise daily to strengthen the lungs
- Change pillow cases frequently. Choose hypoallergenic detergents.
- Change your makeup brushes, products etc. Avoid using makeup completely if possible. Use dermatologist prescribed sunscreen.
- Avoid touching your mobile phone to your cheek.
- Check your oral health. Visit the dentist to see if there are underlying oral problems.
- Avoid overeating.
- Women with hormonal adult acne most likely get acne in this zone of Acne Face Map following the menstrual period (or just before it). Sometimes, taking oral contraceptives can help correct hormonal imbalance. In other cases, the OCPs might be causing the acne. Simply switching to another brand or stopping the medication can relieve acne of this type.
- Use stress control methods to relieve PMS (pre menstrual stress).
Zone 11-12-13 – Chin and jaw acne
The acne present in this zone of the Acne Face Map (along with hair growth in women) indicate hormonal imbalance. Stress is another cause of acne in this zone.
- Manage stress through relaxation techniques like listening to music, meditating etc.
- Massage the abdomen gently in circular motion.
- Take more omega 3 essential fatty acids. Eat walnuts, flax seeds and fatty fish like salmon.
- Cut out sugar, refined flour completely.
- Drink herbal teas like spearmint, green tea etc.
Zone 14 – Neck
This last zone can indicate that your body is trying to avoid illness by fighting bacterial infections.
- Relax your body and breathe deeply
- Give it time to heal and recover
- Drink plenty of water
We hope that this Acne Face Map can help you determine what your pimple placement is trying to tell you. This can help you take remedial actions and start the best acne treatment regime to prevent new breakouts.